Student visas

An overseas student who wants to study under the program must obtain a student visa before they can commence a course of study in Australia. The overseas student can be granted a student visa only if undertaking a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis.
The categories of student visas are as follows:
Subclass 570-Independent ELICOS -
·         English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) undertaken as a stand-alone course, not leading to an Australian award
Subclass 571-Schools -
·         Primary school
·         Secondary school including junior and senior secondary
·         Approved secondary exchange programs
Subclass 572-Vocational Education and Training (VET) -
·         Certificate I, II, III, and IV
·         Diploma, Advanced diploma
·         Former RATE system qualifications: Certificate, Advanced certificate and Associate diploma
Subclass 573-Higher Education -
·         Bachelor degree
·         associate degree
·         graduate certificate
·         graduate diploma
·         Masters by coursework.
Subclass 574-Masters and Doctorate -
·         Masters degree by research
·         Doctoral degree
Subclass 575-Non-award Foundation Studies/Other -
·         a non-award foundation studies course
·         other full-time course (or components of a course) that does not lead to an Australian award.
Subclass 576-AusAID and Defence -
·         Full-time courses of all types undertaken by AusAID or Defence students sponsored by the Australian Government